UPDATE WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 15TH at 1:50PM: Holy Fire 72% contained. 22,2986 acres burned. Latest updates at ABC7.com.
UPDATE FRIDAY, AUGUST 10TH AT 9:15AM: Holy Fire now 18,100 acres and remains at 5 percent containment. Latest updates at ABC7.com.
Holy Fire has grown to almost 10,000 acres on Thursday morning and is only 5% contained according to fire officials. The fire has been burning in the Cleveland National Forest since Monday and is now threatening homes in Lake Elsinore and Corona.
On Wednesday, officials ordered mandatory evacuations of more than 20,500 residentes and about 7,000 homes in the Trabuco Canyon and Lake Elsinore areas.
No major injuries have been reported and twelve structures have been destroyed. A smoke advisory is in effect for Orange and parts of Riverside and San Bernardino counties.
Evacuation centers were setup at Temescal Canyon High School in Lake Elsinore and San Juan Hills High School in San Juan Capistrano.
Mandatory Evacuations (as of Thursday morning):
- McVicker Canyon
- Rice Canyon
- Horsethief Canyon
- El Cariso
- Rancho Capistrano
- Blue Jay
- Indian Canyon
- Glen Eden
- Sycamore Creek
- Mayhew Canyon
A care and reception center is available at Temescal Canyon High School, 28755 El Toro Rd Lake Elsinore CA 92532 for residents. And an evacuation center has been setup at the San Juan Hills High School, located at 29211 Stallion Ridge, San Juan Capistrano.
Voluntary Evacuation warnings (as of Thursday morning):
- Highway 74 (Ortega Highway) west from Lookout Restaurant to Nichols Institute and all connecting roads in the communities of Rancho Capistrano, El Cariso Village and Blue Jay. Residents are advised to exit west to Orange County to avoid fire equipment coming up on the Elsinore side.
-Highway 74 eastbound is also closed.
- Machado community of Lake Elsinore
- The shelter in Wildomar, operated by Animal Friends of the Valleys, is at capacity. Holy Fire evacuees with small animals should bring them to Temescal Canyon High. Riverside County Animal Services will handle the transport to its San Jacinto Valley Animal Campus in San Jacinto. Pet owners can also bring pets to the San Jacinto shelter, located at 581 S. Grand Ave., 92582. All board and care fees will be waived for evacuees’ pets.
School Closures (as of Thursday morning):
-All Menifee Union District and Perris High School Union schools announced they would shut down Thursday, citing the poor air quality.
-Other schools that are closed are from the Lake Elsinore Unified School District School include: Luiseno School, Rice Canyon Elementary, Terra Cota Middle School and Withrow Elementary. District officials said they will be closed until further notice.
Sign up for AlertRivCo messages
- www.RivCoReady.org/AlertRivCo to receive emergency alerts to your cell phones, VOIP lines and email addresses. Alerts include evacuation orders or other public safety information impacting your neighborhood.
- Riverside County Red Cross
- Visit redcross.org to make a donation or text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
Follow on Twitter for the latest updates:
US Forest Services: Cleveland National Forest
CAL FIRE Riverside
Holy Fire Evacuees: U-Haul Offering 30 Days Free Self-Storage in Southern California
U-Haul Companies of Orange County, Riverside and Oceanside have made five facilities across five cities available for the 30 days free disaster relief assistance program for families affected by the Holy Fire. Families seeking self-storage assistance should contact the nearest participating U-Haul facility:
U-Haul Moving & Storage of Corona
314 E. 6th St.
Corona, CA 92879
U-Haul Moving & Storage of Murrieta
25086 Jefferson Ave.
Murrieta, CA 92562
U-Haul Moving & Storage of San Clemente
310 Avenida Pico Ave.
San Clemente, CA 92672
U-Haul Moving & Storage of San Juan Capistrano
33033 Camino Capistrano
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
U-Haul Moving & Storage of Temecula
27941 Jefferson Ave.
Temecula, CA 92590