Fireworks-related injuries have increased 25% over the past 15 years, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. To keep you safe while using fireworks over the July 4th holiday, the agency wants to remember the acronym W.O.W.:
- W for water, to douse fires.
- O for one at a time. Never light off multiple devices.
- W for walk away once it's lit.
Other fireworks safety tips include:
- Observe local laws
- Read and follow the directions on each firework
- Buy from reliable fireworks sellers
- Always have an adult present when shooting fireworks
- Never re-ignite malfunctioning fireworks.
- Never give fireworks to small children.
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
- Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers.