Experts like travel writer Katelynn Sortino have offered some advice on how to safely travel this holiday season.
Consider these don'ts when traveling this winter:
- Don't forget to account for potential closures. Check to make sure sites and attractions you want to visit this winter are still open before you plan your trip
- Don't ignore the forecast! Weather, especially in the winter, is unpredictable. Check the forecast so you'll know what kind of clothing and gear to pack.
- Don't forget to give yourself extra time to travel. FloridaPanhandle.com recommends avoiding connecting flights in a place that has bad winter weather. If you can't, be prepared for delays.
- Don't forget to plan for transportation. Try to rent a car that you're familiar with or book a hotel near places like grocery stores.
- Don't skip the winter travel essentials. Take an extra blanket, a map and a list of hospitals with you in case of a winter emergency