A French family is suing Airbnb after their 19-month-old died after being exposed to fentanyl, allegedly at a vacation property in Florida.
The child died during the summer of 2021 of acute fentanyl toxicity, but it's unclear how the child ingested the deadly drug. The family claims that even though the Airbnb was marketed as a "peaceful" place to stay it was actually a party house, with one drug-fueled party thrown shortly before they arrived from France.
When the parents arrived with their five children, they put their daughter down for a nap. An hour later, the mother checked on her child and found her unresponsive. She was pronounced dead at the hospital. The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said, "There were no signs of any narcotic medications or any illegal narcotics at the crime scene and her death was listed as accidental." The case is closed pending viable leads. The parents also tested negative for drugs.
The family is suing Airbnb for failing for ensure the property was safe, saying the company's cleaning procedures are “inadequate to decontaminate a property and eliminate the risk” from drugs or residue."
Airbnb has offered condolences to the family but won't comment on the suit. [Read More]