Self-checkout lanes at the grocery store can be a time-saver - or a disaster if you don't know what you're doing. That's why the folks at The Takeout have listed 'rules of etiquette' for self-checkout.
- Keep it small: Keep your self-checkout purchase to 15 items or less - unless you're a whiz with a scanner.
- Buying booze: Alcohol purchases usually require approval from a staffer, so it's best to use a cashier lane instead.
- Know your produce: Self-checkout moves a lot faster when you know the 4-digit code for your produce items.
- Respect the line: No cutting! Come on, you should know this one from your elementary school days.
- Leave no trace: make sure your purchases didn't leave a mess behind for the next customer to clean up.
- Be nice: If you need help from a staffer, be polite and don't make things even more difficult.